Cover Fun
I recently just finished designing a fun cover. The story is a dark comedy involving an unpublished author who is hired to translate a book. He hates the book and substitutes his own stories. When the book becomes a hit, things get out of control, and he kills of the author, the publisher, and the publisher's other best-selling author.
Since we are traditionally publishing this book, the design gets to be more fun and complicated for me. The chapter openings in the interior of the book features a typewriter with a pool of blood slowly leaking out from the back. The blood pool gets bigger and bigger as the book progresses.
Anyway, I came up with a variety of front cover designs for our office to vote on.

The stock photo of the post-it guy was a vector graphic, and I didn't want the cover to have an illustration. So after failing miserably to glom other stock photos, I decided to go practical and take a photo of my own.
Should be easy, right? Throw some post-its on a cork board, jam a pencil and a couple of thumb tacks here and there, point camera, shoot. ...not.
It took 60 photos to finally find one we liked. And the front cover ended up like this:

So what do you do with the back? The crime scene photos, of course!
Thursday, May 07, 2009
|
Labels:
cover design
|
0 comments:
Post a Comment