Making a Fake Mosaic

So, recently our boss gave us a small budget to add some sparkle to the office. I decided to try to make a fake mosaic of one of the company logos.

Here's the process.

First I tried doing it on my computer. I knew it would be a big project, and I didn't want to waste my time in doing something that would be horrid. :-) Using Photoshop I set out a grid and a pattern for me to follow. I highly recommend this step.

Next I hijacked my nieces to help cut the square "tiles" from book covers.

Then I got to work.

Based on my photoshop mock-up I cut a board and painted with the background color. Then I began to lay a grid over the board using painter's tape and curling ribbon.


I raised the work table to a more comfortable height with books and hung the ribbon spool on a carpet broom to keep it running all over the place. I started in the center of the board and worked out from there.

One mistake I did make was not finding the center of the image before I made my grid or cut my board. My final mosaic was off center. 

Using a print-out of my mosaic I began to place the grid of tiles into their spot. Numbering the columns on both the board and image helped speed the process along. I cut more pieces than was necessary to help pick and choose which tiles I wanted on the board.

My design had two parts: a clear grid pattern and two "swoshes" that weren't in the same pattern. I began to glue down the tiles. The edge tiles were a bit tricky and I only glued down the corner or edge I knew would remain on the final board.  

Next I printed out a full sized version of my photoshop mock-up. I cut it out and used it as a stencil to know where to cut the excess off my edge tiles. Because the rest of my design was more freeform, I cut the ribbon grid away.

Next I trimmed the edges to create the round shape.

Then I used my full-sized template to pencil in some guiding edge dots for me to follow as I placed the blue and green swirls.

These I placed more freeform and didn't really use the grid I'd mocked on my paper.
  

The lighter weight paper needs a bit of attention to make sure the tiles lay flat. The thicker paper (cardstock weight) worked fairly well. 

Next I modge-podged the whole thing. Instead of brushing it on, I used a sponge brush and used a tapping motion to create a more bumpy finish. I edged the board with black duct tape.

And the finished result.
...all for about $10!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive